Home – New Forums Tech talk Think Less About Search! Google Instant Is Here… Reply To: Think Less About Search! Google Instant Is Here…

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::

Hi WAHE,
We need to be very careful that people don’t assume that facts are being cited here. That’s why I’ve jumped in with a detailed explanation.

We are each voicing opinions, not facts. I am not attacking you. You are totally entitled to your opinions.

Neither of us have all the facts because Google never gives them out but these are the statements in your posts that I believe may be inaccurate and why I believe you are off the mark:

1. “Looking at it from Google’s point of view, it is trying ever more so to make it harder to rank on page #1. It is definitely succeeding in Weeding-Out all the rubbish online.”
2. “…all that more difficult to compete against your selected keywords”
3. “It will have a big impact on paid and organic search varieties for all Search Marketers”
4. “…if you are trying to compete for keywords that are not so competitive you will Miss Out Big Time”
5. “…it (Google) is trying ever more so to make it harder to rank on page #1”
6. “The great thing about Instant Search is that it prioritizes the most relevant and most competitive keyword first. This will make it even more difficult for the SEO industry to claim they can get you to the top of SE’s.”

Google has said categorically that Instant has no impact on how pages are ranked in search results.

Google has not intentionally reduced the size of its index as far as I am aware. In fact, it increased it significantly by adding twitter posts for the first time earlier this year.

That would seem to nullify your “weeding out the rubbish” statement and your various statements about being harder to compete or rank.

Why would Google want to make it harder to rank #1 for any search phrase? I believe what Google wants is to deliver the most relevant results to its users. If they don’t do that, people will switch to search engines that do.

“It will have a big impact on paid and organic search” – Are you saying that Google is implementing this change to drive up the cost per click of Adwords? Sorry, I don’t believe this.

“This will make it even more difficult for the SEO industry to claim they can get you to the top of SE’s”. I don’t subscribe to this approach to SEO but it seems to me that if it is harder to get to the top of a specific search phrase and while there are website owners who want to chase a specific search phrase then all this will do is cause SEOs to charge more because it will take more time to achieve top ranking results.

“it prioritizes the most relevant and most competitive keyword first”. How? The searcher decides what words are used first. Last month month 4 million US searches started with the words “small business”. Google has no idea what info they were seeking at that point and Instant Search changes the displayed results with every single keystroke. If you happen to be looking for a “small business seo consultant in Dallas”, it takes Google Instant until the last “a” in “Dallas” (around 40 keystrokes) to accurately predict then deliver the results you’re after. Please don’t tell me that people don’t use phrases this long. (See Google quote below.)

Here are some other comments that Google staff have made recently: (http://www.bgtheory.com/blog/are-search-queries-becoming-even-more-unique-statistics-from-google/)

“54.5% of user queries are greater than 3 words”
“70% of queries have no exact-matched keywords”

Back in 2001 only a third of searches used 3 or more words in search phrases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_query).

Back in 2000 Google had only indexed 1.3 billion web pages. (http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease51.html) Now it has over 1 trillion pages in its index.

Back to my opinion.

The reason people have to use longer search phrases now is directly related to the quantum leap in documents that match search phrases.

To qualify for Google’s search results list, every word used in the search phrase must occur somewhere on a page (or in the links text to it). When you start typing the search words “small business”, Google has 689 million pages it is ranking. By the time you complete the full search phrase above, there are only 275 thousand pages that match the phrase. In this example, it is the location word that really determines the final relevancy of results.

There is nothing in anything I have read from Google about Instant Search that seems likely to have any impact on this requirement for long search phrases.

You may want to consider Google’s statement that “70% of queries have no exact-match keywords” – that is 750 million searches per DAY have no exact match. I would have thought that this statement alone, invalidates many of your suppositions.

Regs,

JohnW