Home – New Forums Starting your journey Trading names and websites – Bad advice from Gov? Reply To: Trading names and websites – Bad advice from Gov?

sluik
  • Total posts: 8
Up
::
Melinda B, post: 49864 wrote:
I don’t get this part. I understand why you’d use a subdomain as a sandpit. Why is it important that the guy on the phone understood the difference?

For the purposes of registering a business name it makes no difference if you have a top level domain or a subdomain. If you are conducting business activities on the domain/subdomain then you should have it registered, yes?

If you’re not conducting business activities – whether you’re making money from it or not – then the whole question is moot.

Well, I didn’t have to quote a business name to get the subdomain, I’m not too cluey on the whole business of sub vs domain. I’ve just been told that to get a domain name you have to have a registered business name if you were not using your first/surname.

My understanding is that my activity is classed on-line publishing and the title of the website is treated the same as if it were a magazine or book title.

The whole fine-print of running a business is new to me so I’m just following the minimalist KISS principal; if one does not need something, why have it. The business idea might just take off in time.

Hope I make sense

Albert