Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Do Not Call Register For Business Reply To: Do Not Call Register For Business

marketingweb
  • Total posts: 625
Up
::
smallspark, post: 50190 wrote:
I don’t think it’s fair to have one rule for Australian businesses and another for overseas businesses. Brute force marketers exist everywhere.
This you are probably right on, plus there would be too much outcry. I’m just thinking where most of the nusense calls come from.

smallspark, post: 50190 wrote:
No one is proposing to stop this sort of thing from going on – only that businesses who want to do that wash their list first. All you have to do is throw it all in an Excel file and use the tools on the do not call register website.

I guess my point is this. If it is too easy to get on the do not call list for business, and people jump on it willy nilly, then potentially half the businesses in the phone book may not be able to be called.

Businesses who are trying to stop getting phone calls from Indian telemarketers selling them phone services will inadvertently block people like you and me from calling them as they probably don’t even mentally think someone who has researched them and has a specific and genuine interest in their business as coming under that category – even though they will. I hate making cold calls myself, but I see it as part of business.

Two favorite quotes of mine (directed at the practices of telemarketers, NOT the posters on this forum)

I disagree with what you have to say but will fight to the death to protect your right to say it.
Voltaire

and

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.
-Martin Niemoller, an Anti-Nazi German Pastor during WWII (Various versions of this exist with different people they “came after” in the quote)

Matt