Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a side business Reply To: Starting a side business

HealthyChart
  • Total posts: 20
Up
::

Hi teegee,

Always tell the truth about what you are doing to both clients and potential employers. Explain to an employer how you plan to handle client calls, etc. and they will either be ok with it or not. If you don’t tell them and they find out later, they will never trust you no matter how trustworthy you are or beneficial your side business could be to them.

I am a sole trader and if I were to use you (and I may want to as I’m looking for an iPhone app developer) I could only use you if you have an ABN. Having a proper business and registering for GST will mean a bit of paperwork, but well worth it in the long run. Even if it is just a side business. Tell the truth and pay your taxes.

My graphic designer trades under her own name and does her ‘on the side’ work from home. I don’t think your name has to be anything other than your name. I assume most of your business will be word of mouth, so people will know what you do, your scope, etc. And you can always change it later.

Good luck.
HealthyChart