Home – New Forums Tech talk some SEO assistance please Reply To: some SEO assistance please

shags38
Participant
  • Total posts: 83
Up
::
Tiggerito, post: 51663 wrote:
Hi Gabriel,

When people talk about alt they are not talking about src.

Probably an example of an img tag would be clearest:

title=”No SEO value, shown as a tool tip”
alt=”has SEO value, describe the image”
src=”/images/keyword.jpg”
/>

The title attribute is most often the text displayed when you hover over the image (browser dependent). Most search engines ignore this text as it has been badly abused.

The alt attribute is designed for accessibility and is shown if images cannot be shown. It is also read out aloud to people using screen readers. Search engines do consider the text in this but I would advise you use it correctly, and not for keyword stuffing.

If your image has no meaning, like it’s page decoration, then leave it blank. If it’s primary purpose is as a link or action, then describe what will happen. If it is an image of text, then repeat the text. Otherwise explain what the image is about. Keep it to a reasonable size.

The src attribute defines where the image is. Having keywords in this URL can be slightly beneficial to SEO. Search engines sometimes use the words in the file name to help them understand what the image is about.

For the backlink stuff, I’d also be interested to hear peoples opinions.

Are these 1000s of domains currently offline? Is the topic similarity just due to the keywords in the domains?

Tiggerito – thanks for your comments. Firstly after reading your response I have gone into my image section of my CMS and on closer inspection have found that I can modify the ALT description in image properties. Your comments helped me greatly, made me “think” about it rather than react.

In respect to the links issue from parking sites. The domains are of similar topic names with similar keywords – all are 3D Consumer Electronics names so hence in that respect would have some commonality.

More to the point the comments from John W and David Thomas regarding this are pertinent. I did think about the possible link farming perception and John W’s comments have confirmed my concerns so I will not go ahead with the idea. John you are right, it would have been mega hours of work setting up links on that many sites with no guarantee of success and the sandboxing potential is scary. I am already in Googles bad books for Adsense abuse (was naive when I started out, or should I say more naive?).

So I will stick with the content building – the sites in question that I was looking at doing the linking to are ranking well anyway – PR 2/3 for a 6 month old site and PR 4/5 for a 3 month old site and PR 3/4 for a 3 week old site (all in the same search term – “best 3d tv” – in fact had 4 sites ranking #35, 36, 54 & 63 yesterday for that search – Google com, using Firefox). Yes John W, (from a previous post question), they are very much duplicate sites – 3dtvchoices.com and 3dtvchoices.com.au are EXACT duplicates however I have been told that the different Tld extension obviates the duplicity as far as the crawlers are concerned, and those 2 sites are a copy of 3dtelevisionchoices.com with a few minor variations. The duplicity hasn’t seemed to be a concern as yet but maybe it takes time for the spiders to crawl enough pages to make comparisons ????
My theory was to get some sites ranking in a fledgling market (3D is stumbling – search rates have dropped 60% since January (Google Webmaster Tools stats) – starting with one site, adding a couple more then when all reasonably ranked slowing down on 2 of them and forging ahead with development of one “prime” site with the others in a kind of set and forget mode feeding the prime site.
One catalyst in doing this was the fact that I chose 3DTelevisionChoices.com as the url to develop back in February when I thought SEO stood for Sell Everyone Oranges, I was still learning how to turn the computer on back then. I chose that domain to develop based on keyword searches for the word television being infinitely greater than for TV. Oh how we learn as we progress – as much as that was and still is the case the search term “3D TV” is used by a factor of a whopping 13 times more than 3D Television, so I discovered about 5 weeks ago – hence 3DTVChoices.com which was sitting there collecting dust was brought to life as a copy of 3DTelevisionChoices.com (and now outranks it in a number of keyword phrase searches). 3DTVChoices is now the “prime” site getting more development time and effort than the other – I am now attempting to diversify new content on each site whilst leaving the duplicate content at its current level, i.e. not growing any more duplicity.
What I have done in an attempt to disguise the duplicity as best as possible is modify the wording of the headings on each page and the page title and description – figuring that these are the key recognition areas targeted by the crawlers – yes / no ??? Any comments / advice in this area ?
Now that was off topic wasn’t it :)

Many thanks again guys for your comments and assistance – I am now a little bit wiser and more edumucated :)

cheers,
Mike

it is currently 3:40am – SEO and managing your own websites is such a sleep depriver isn’t it :)