Home – New Forums Find the help you need Web Designer Contacts Needed Reply To: Web Designer Contacts Needed

profitclicks
  • Total posts: 160
Up
::
JohnW, post: 87691 wrote:
Hi Agent Local,
That’s what I’m doing.

However, the point to my post was to question a company about charging for individual keywords, many of which a SE would treat as essentially identical. The company even shows that 3 of the keywords ranked identically in Google. Guess why?

If you have 10 years experience in SEO, you will be aware that SEs primarily rank individual words in search results, not specific phrases that are called “keywords” by this poster.

The client in my example only needs to target around 20 different words (4 of which are probably what you call “core words”) in this initial stage and these can be combined into more than the 480 different individual search phrases, so I expect no sanity problems.

In fact, the client already ranks top 10 for 24% of the 480 with nothing more than the page copy we created.

As this is a new site and a small business with very specific customer targeting needs, I’d reverse your saying to “target the tail to exploit the head”. If we were to successfully target the most frequently used search phrases, this business would waste so much time answering enquiries from people who would not be potential clients for a multitude of reasons.

I find so many SEO consultants completely ignore this crucial customer targeting issue. If all they are doing is entering a client in a SE ranking competition then they are doing them a dis-service and wasting their money.

Anyway, it’s worked for me in my 17 years in this industry. :-)

Best Regs,
JohnW

Agree with the thrust of what you are saying and a lot of the times it is all semantics or packaging the truth in a powerful way.

While I obviously can’t comment on your 17 years in the industry, what I can say is that Google really only came into the public consciousness in the tail end of the 90s around 98-99. You and I have both probably seen a lot of changes in the industry and we will continue to see these as Google and other search engines develop.

My biggest bugbear is companies that market SEO as the be all and end all. What happens to a prospect when they arrive at your website. Are they converting or leaving? This is due to the keywords / keyphrases we target AND how well a company’s core product / service is sold.

Anyway, we could debate all day long on these matters – I hope your search for a supportive hand is fruitful :)