Home – New Forums Tech talk What confuses you most about the web? Reply To: What confuses you most about the web?

Niks
  • Total posts: 58
Up
::

I actually have lots to say about this. Sorry, I’ve just been spending every last second I have on trying to figure out my own website. I have spend so long trying to get the answers I need, and I must say, there is not actually all that much help out there and I am so close to giving up. And I don’t give up on a lot of things!!!

An important one I think when first getting started is the difference between a custom site, and a hosted site, (and something about all of the different terminology you may come across!)

I really want to use my own graphic designer, however this has proven so difficult to see if those designs work with particular websites… and the graphic designers don’t know, and I don’t know who to contact about my questions because developers have thier own preference of the carts they want to work with. (See my unanswered question about BigCommerce!)

I think when you want to have a website built, you have millions of ideas, however it is so difficult to get your head around what it actually involves for the developer to put it all together. And when quotes range from $1,000 – $15,000 when you put together a list of things you’d like and send it away for quotes… it’s incredibly confusing to work out how much you should pay for something good.

Looking through people’s portfolio’s is very effective in seeing what they can do, but if it doesn’t relate to your own ideas then its very hard (for me anyway) to work out whether they can do what I want them to do… with designs from my graphic designers.

I’m not sure if that makes sense, I can probably write a mini essay in the difficulties I have stumbled across, and I still have lots of emails I have sent to developers about my questions in the early days.

I am at the point where I feel like I would actually pay good money just for some answers. How can I get my website done within my budget.. and I want that question answered by people who are not bias towards their particular way of developing and advocate for their particular cart when it clearly doesn’t meet my needs.

Hmm… maybe I should just risk using Magento & see how I go!

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense, I have so many unanswered questions on various forums. Although I must say I do need to get back to the original questions I’ve asked, and thank you for your help becuase I do know you have actually taken the time to respond, which has been very helpful :)

Sorry this turned into a rant! I promise I will write you a very detailed response about what I think people want to know