Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Anhone got some great examples of USPs? Reply To: Anhone got some great examples of USPs?

FarahW
  • Total posts: 20
Up
::
Bernie Gilmour, post: 78455 wrote:
In my experience most small businesses run purely on luck/chance/optimism and not good planning..

If you substitute ‘practical experience’ for ‘sound theory’ in your above quote you will be closer to the mark for my background! :)

As I mentioned before, start-up and new small businesses need to get the basics right in the planning stage.. including why their business is or is going to be different or better, i.e. their USP.

That is usually sufficient work for most sole traders who are generally time-poor. Consequently, that is why most consultants stick to proven practical advice that is manageable and relevant.. KISS.

Hi Bernie –

First you told me businesses are run on luck and optimism, now you say that they have to get their planning right in the basics. It doesn’t matter. I feel your answer has already been answered by my previous answer.

Just to reiterate, since you seemed to have missed my points:

1. I said my advice is not “JUST” based on experience, but solid theory, facts and figures. This implies my advice is combined on both. Futhermore, anecdotal experience is not always reliable, hence the need for solid theory.

If you have checked out my website even cursorily, I have not only reputable education to back up my advice, including papers endorsed by Cambridge, but a decade in the industry now, working with both Fortune 500, international governments, NGOs, and small businesses. I don’t know if this is similar to your “background”, as you have neither once mentioned your background nor written it in profile page.

2. The USP was originally formulated for big businesses, not small. (I have already previously explained the who and why.) Yet here we are discussing it for small businesses. Ideas diffuse and to choose when to adopt it to size is not rational either logically or in terms of economics.

3. Considering the saturation of small businesses in Australia, my bringing up several points that work aside from the USP is perfectly reasonable.

4. KISS was formulated as a guideline for lucidity, not depth of a subject. If you mistake it for the latter, you are doing whoever you advice a grave disservice.

5. All traders are time poor. It has nothing to do with the size of the business. This makes a stronger argument for understanding the market and nature of marketing, not a weaker one.

Since this discussion has seemed to stalled, and it is no longer a discussion of marketing points but essentially a discussion of my credentials which I feel no need for further discussion, I will not continue it after this.

Good luck Bernie, in whatever you do.