Home – New Forums Tech talk Small business WP themes Reply To: Small business WP themes

IronMaiden
  • Total posts: 125
Up
::

Hackers can get into your website through various ways. I would recommend chmod’ing your folders to 755 and files to 644. Ensure that your WordPress version, plugins and theme are up to date.

Whoa guys, Shaun lost me with the above detail. I know the basics and that’s about it. I have WordPress blog attached to our website and a couple of days ago found a heap of files (php & html) in the same directory as the blog (public.html). We phoned our web host immediately and they were going to refer it to their Sys Admin. I received an email about 10 minutes later asking for details but we havent heard from them since. I’ve even tweeted them with no response – twice. Between my OH and I we worked out which were the sus files and have deleted them but have assumed that the access was via WordPress as we hadnt updated to the latest version and there were some known security issues. Everything is now updated.

I’m really unhappy with NetRegistry not getting back to us and doubt they will. Seems they’re not interested in their customers who were migrated over from MD Webhosting who are paying less than their current basic rates.

In respect to the chmod’g I’d like to learn more … step by step though :) Please be gentle and take it slow!