Home – New Forums Starting your journey Logo Design Reply To: Logo Design

BrettM33
Participant
  • Total posts: 1,372
Up
::
victorng, post: 81080 wrote:
I find your idea of a standardised scale of charges pretty unrealistic.

Two things should determine what you charge – the value you place on your work and the value your client / market places on your work.

That’s one reason why I don’t believe in hourly rates in many professional services industries (gasp, a lawyer who doesn’t believe in the sacred 6 minute unit?). If an expert tax advisor can show me in 10 minutes how to save tens of thousands of dollars, I’m happy to pay for more than just ten minutes of his time…

Cheers,
Victor

That reminds me of something I read once; it roughly went like this:

Ted Johnson had worked for a big engineering company for 38 years and was one of their best engineers, but finally decided to retire.

A few years later the company was having a big problem with one of their machines that NONE of their top engineers could figure out; so in desperation the company decided to give Ted a call; Ted agreed to come in and have a look at the machine; Ted inspected the machine and within minutes spotted the problem & drew a circle where the problem was with a pencil.

A few days later they received Ted’s invoice in the mail, it was for $50,000.

The company was in shock, $50,000 for a few minutes work? They asked Ted to draw up a cost chart.

It read:

Cost of pencil: $1
38 years experience: $49,999

I always liked that ever since I read it! :)