Home – New Forums Starting your journey Time – Overcommitment Reply To: Time – Overcommitment

B Cooper
  • Total posts: 211
Up
::

Hey there,

I think you’ll find this advice, interesting. I’ve only just turned 18, and I’ve been in business for one year. Yet I’m now classed as in the top 40 entrepreneurs under the age of 20 in the world by the co-founder of PayPal, I own several businesses, I have TV advertising campaigns in the US, and partnerships with large companies all over the place.

Yet what the hell allowed me to progress so fast? Well sorry, but it wasn’t my studies. Going to school is great if you want to get ’employed’, but if you actually want to ‘learn’ what you ‘need’ to know as ‘fast’ as possible, there really are much quicker ways outside of school. For example, I’m studying programming, both in school and outside of school teaching myself. I could study programming in school for 5 years and still not learn as much as I could teach myself in 6 months.

If you love business, if you want that entrepreneur inside of you to flourish, then stick with your idea. Set yourself hard goals, and achieve them. Read lots of books that will help fuel your inspiration so that you’ll never ‘burn out’.

I’ve got a list of books on my blog here:

http://smallbusinesstalk.com.au/blog/motivation/list-of-motivational-business-books/

So my point is, if you really want to progress with your idea, don’t push it aside for later, because it’ll never get done. Set yourself a goal to get it built within a specific time-frame, and achieve it. Do whatever it takes. As said in the posts above, you’re going to have to dedicate yourself and be willing to sacrifice, but in the end, it’ll all be worth it. If you don’t need your studies, don’t study. If you need to learn certain skills, learn them. If you want to work for somebody else, or if you KNOW that your degree is teaching you the utmost essential skills for what you want to achieve, and that there is no faster way of learning those skills, then continue with your studies.

Just my view. Good luck with everything! :)