Home – New Forums Starting your journey Time – Overcommitment Reply To: Time – Overcommitment

Not4Resale
  • Total posts: 50
Up
::

Thanks for the replies people.

As it turns out I was gifted with a stroke of good luck on Friday afternoon and fired from my job. Something I didn’t highlight enough here was the main problem that I’m faced with.

The only problem I have with study is it’s lack of relevance at points. Yes it is preparing me to be employable-ish(it’s still a pain in the ass to break into an industry). The steps I’ve taken to combat this has been to drop down to part time study. I would have finished my masters this year but at this rate I’ll finish at the end of next year. Two night classes a week and a few mad rushes to finish assignments is a pain but it’s bearable. My only question here is whether it’s worth holding the line for this if it gives me a bit of limited relevance. I love learning the design stuff, my course is a mix between business and creativity which is expressed in design and writing subjects. All of the skills I learn are definitely marketable but the ones that will directly help me in my business success are much less.

Work however… Now on the one hand I want to work in the publishing industry to have experience in case this business idea falls flat on it’s face. On the other hand, I think I should just get myself a part time sales job and give myself the time to build. The reality is you need money in the bank every week, it would be nice if I didn’t have bills to pay but I need enough to live on. Working 3 days a week in a sales/people related job won’t kill me. The only problem with this is I’m not furthering my skills in my chosen field (however sales is definitely going to help in business).

I know a lot of business ventures fail, I’m not too worried about failing. I’ve had quite a large degree of success in personal development so getting back up after getting struck over the head by life is a challenge for me but it does not spell surrender. However, I have a lot of belief in this idea and I want it to succeed.

I think what I’m looking for is how the successful people built their ability to know exactly what to do each step of the way. The drive won’t die, I just want to know which direction I need to swim.