Home – New Forums Money matters Client telling me what the invoice amount should be after the job is complete Reply To: Client telling me what the invoice amount should be after the job is complete

John C.
  • Total posts: 439
Up
::

I tend to agree with sixx – submit a real invoice for the amount you think your work is worth and keep any discount you’re willing to give up your sleeve for when / if they argue about the amount, otherwise you’re agreeing that the client has the right to come up with a cost at the end of the job each time they hire you!

It’s true that you made a mistake by not being clear about your rates from the outset – I think we’ve all made that mistake once – but that doesn’t give the customer the right to dictate your rates once the job is complete. You should at least come to some agreement together, rather than them just giving you an amount that you’re allowed to invoice them for.

Is it possible that the person who referred you to this client mentioned a price that they’ve paid you in the past for similar work, and the new client just assumed that you had passed on a verbal quote through them? Maybe speak to that person about any conversations they may have had with the new client.

I hope you get a good outcome.

Cheers,
John