Home – New Forums Money matters Client telling me what the invoice amount should be after the job is complete Reply To: Client telling me what the invoice amount should be after the job is complete

Stuart B
  • Total posts: 1,070
Up
::

Yeah I agree with the last pasts. Don’t offer a discount and keep it up your sleeve. Then you’ve got something to negotiate with when they inevitably respond with “whaaaat!?”.

At the end of the day, you’ve already delivered the end product so there’s nothing you can do if they decide they don’t want to pay the full amount. It’s just an attempt to make a recovery from the initial mistake.

I had the exact same situation happen to me when building a website for a client (who originated from this forum!), where they managed to create a situation so they would only have to pay half of the quoted price (i.e. product was delivered before final payment was received).

I was absolutely furious because I felt that I had done them a favour on a seriously rush job, but at the end of the day I just had to write it off and chalk it up to a business experience which had to happen eventually.

The silver lining is that all my procedures relating to how I deal with clients & payments got revised and I’ve never had the same thing happen since. And in some way I think it’s better because when a client tries to bend you to their will out of sympathy for one reason or another, you can calmly tell them that the job is still going to take this long / cost this much.

I think at the end of the day those clients end up respecting you more because it shows you have some strong standards, and are prepared to lose them if they don’t play the game by your rules.

So I think you should attempt to get them to pay what you want, but if they don’t go for it, take comfort in the huge experience you’ll gain, and that they’ve actually helped you strengthen your business procedures in a way. Remember that you always learn more from a loss, than from a win.