Home – New Forums Money matters Client telling me what the invoice amount should be after the job is complete Reply To: Client telling me what the invoice amount should be after the job is complete

JacquiPryor
  • Total posts: 2,344
Up
::

My 2c, for what it’s worth – I would issue the invoice at the rate you would normally for the job done.

Rather than offer a discount to keep them happy – you could make a note in your terms that they are welcome to deduct a 10% discount (or however much) for prompt payment, or full balance due in X number of days. Make it seem like this is your standard practice to offer a prompt payment discount – rather than the discount relating to what they think they should be paying. It sounds like they already said they would pay quickly once they have your invoice so you could even cover note it with “As you have indicated a quick payment of our invoice, we invite you to deduct our prompt payment discount of %X if settled within 7 days”.

I do agree with onsiteTECHS comment -kind of sounds like the client that introduced you may have mentioned amounts they have previously paid to you and they have ‘assumed’ that it would be about the same for them. (Mind you – if that was me, I would probably say that when contacting you rather than just dictate the sum).

PS – If you do end up discounting anything of your standard rates, make sure its recorded as a discount – as this will count as a business expense for reporting/tax purposes etc