Home – New Forums Tech talk Windows 8 Consumer Preview Reply To: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Uncomplicating
  • Total posts: 731
Up
::
TehCamel, post: 107850 wrote:
What can I tell you though.. out of the box.. it’s.. well.. it’s like a tablet.

Me$$ysoft has been spouting for some time about the idea of a single platform for desktop, tablet and Windows phone.

Enter Windows 8.

Only Metro apps, those written to use the new WinRT interface (tech gibberish for Microsoft’s “new playground rules”) will actually run on a tablet/phone. All other applications will run on the PC though in normal desktop mode. So no real change there then, just a new user interface to get to grips with.

However, everything you own that currently runs on your desktop won’t actually run on a win 8 tablet, unless its Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Onenote (i think), and that’s only because MS are writing brand new versions of these specific to the tablet.

It’s hard at first glance to understand this strategy, but it becomes clearer eventually.

MS argue that as just about everything you have on your desktop today was designed for point and click with a mouse, it’s not going to be much good on a small touch screen where people like me with fat, clumsy fingers will have great difficulty. Excel on a 11″ screen sounds way too hard and perhaps time for extra thick glasses.

Now consider the following statistic. Around 95% of all “office” activity e.g. Word processing, spreadsheets, presentations etc., is performed using Microsoft Office. It is the de facto standard.

Now think of a work environment where you get the train to work while using your win 8 tablet and the office VPN. You get to the office and put the same tablet in a docking station connected to a screen and keyboard etc. It connects to your office network and a sharepoint server, and you work away seamlessly. Then you take it home again. No more expensive, heavy laptops, just comparatively cheap tablets that will be entirely adequate for many who really only do email, word processing and web stuff.

MS have simply ignored the iPad/Samsung Galaxy market and taken aim squarely at big end of town, where all the BIG money is. The corporate market will love the merging of technologies and millions of Office licences will be sold. Most software vendors will make a tablet version of their stuff because they’ll be mad not to, and the world will carry on turning.

There’s only questions remaining.

Can MS avoid a mess like they had with Vista? If Windows 7 is any indication, they’ve learnt that lesson.

Can someone build a tablet that’s got enough get up and go to keep the super resource hungry Windows 8 up and running for much more than an hour?

As yet, the answer is no.