Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Working On My Flight Plan Reply To: Working On My Flight Plan

kathiemt
  • Total posts: 1,167
Up
::

Hi Rob, and welcome. Great you have found this forum and you’ll find many here keen to help you.

I’m going to tell you what I tell anyone who’s thinking about having a go at something – just step out and do it! You’ll never know unless you try and you don’t want to regret not having done so.

Now, given that, there is that scary part of making an income so you can survive. gulp. I did that late 1993 and wondered if I was doing the right thing. So I set in place a safety net. I took leave without pay for 12 months so I had a job to come back to. Don’t know if you can still do that these days, but might be worth investigating. Next, I took on a temporary job to bring in income while I put plans together to run my business. And then I did some temping with an agency to ensure I still had income coming in when I wasn’t working at that temporary job anymore.

I did a LOT of reading during that time, asking questions and meeting people. There was no internet in those days and so no forums or anything I could go to. But there were local business networks and I went to breakfast meetings and after hour meetings to meet other business owners – to learn from them and to meet potential clients.

It worked, and at the end of my first 12 months I had grossed the same income as my previous year as an employee. I knew I’d made the right choice and gave in my notice. The only time I look back now, is to share my story with people like you. I do not regret having made the decision I did. Enjoy the journey!