Home – New Forums Starting your journey Home Based Business Legal Issues Reply To: Home Based Business Legal Issues

kathiemt
  • Total posts: 1,167
Up
::

Hi Rebecca, and welcome. Please make sure you introduce yourself at the introduction thread too :)

Have you looked for the small business organisation in your state? For example, here in Victoria we have Small Business Vic, or Business Victoria I think it is now. At any rate, they have the relevant information relating to registering a business and will often have information relating to council rulings and other things too. If you’re not planning on having any employees you probably won’t have any problems.

You should also apply for an ABN. You might be able to do that through your local state business organisation but you can also apply for it online here.

You can operate under your own name and you don’t have to have a business name, but if you plan to use one, then it’s important to register it, and look at trademarking it as well. There’s a new national business register now and that might prove a little challenging as the site is new and still somewhat clunky. However, I’d be looking for your local state connection first and let them guide you on what’s needed.

Important also to locate a local Accountant who speciliases in looking after small businesses to help you set up correctly and let you know what else you might need to do. There is a list of Accountants on in the directory on this website which you might find useful.

I’m sure you’ll learn lots here too.