Home – New Forums Starting your journey Building a tablet computer. Need advice. Reply To: Building a tablet computer. Need advice.

DanielM
  • Total posts: 241
Up
::
websitedesigner, post: 130709 wrote:
Hey Daniel I think the idea is pretty cool but there’s 3 things I’d be aware of:

• A hell of a lot of kids will have access to iphones and ipads soon. By 2 and 4 year old have an ipad (my old one), their good friend a 3 year old has an ipad, they are all addicted to our iphones and will have them soon as we upgrade. This will be more and more true as parents upgrade theirs.
  • Tablets are going to get crazy cheap soon. iPad 7 will come out soon it will probably be $300. Kindle Fire 2 will be out soon that will be a lot less, they are talking possibly doing add supported ones etc. Why would someone buy a non name Android one when they could get an Apple one or Kindle and just install some kids apps? This is worth thinking about.
  • You can already get Android tablets for under $100. I’ve had a few they were terrible and useless for kids. Particularly ones that were used to the usability of their parent’s iphones. You’ll have to be careful with this (although I see Nominal has had a different experience, mine was about a year ago).

Hope that helps, good luck, it’s certainly interesting.

Thank you for your valuable input. I am more targeting those families and institutions who do not already have Apple products to hand down to their kids and are looking for a solid platform which has a focus on learning. I am not sure about the iPad 7 but I have heard about the new Kindle Fire offering an ad supported platform. I doubt (hopefully) that it will retail for around $100.

Think along the lines of ‘Leap Frog’ and those kinds of children games which aid a childs learning.

There have been numerous improvements even in the last year in regards to tablets which have been built in China. I have been heavily involved in the project so you can be assured the experience would be no different to any Android supported device.