Home – New Forums Tech talk Another website without Analytics? Reply To: Another website without Analytics?

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::
Divert To Mobile, post: 135074 wrote:
Some of us old timers (including my self) have taken our sweet time to discover the benefits of GA but we were analysing our sites before GA was invented.
Please lets not trash AWStats, It was released about 10 years ago and was the only thing we had besides click counters. OMG remember those?

Steve
I go back to early Webalizer and Wusage traffic reports. I still have the odd before and after SEO screen grab of traffic charts from these on my hard drive.

There is nothing new in this disinterest in traffic reports. There are also the issues of constant change and growing complexity with Analytics that are confounding the picture and frustrating site owners.

Just when you think it is safe to go back in the water the Google white pointer strikes again!

It may be the intro of asyncronous tracking code or a whole new Analytics interface. If you are going to stay on top of it, it requires a serious time commitment.

At the other end of the scale, after 18 years, I’m still explaining “hits”, “visitors”, “unique visitors”, “bounce rates”, “keywords”, let alone why “asynchronous” Analytics reports are different to non-asyncronous reports.

And what is the primary reason for all the upgrades? It’s to help Google generate more Adwords revenue.

Google should be paying us as educators.

Why should we be surprised that some folk aren’t interested in traffic stats? If all they’ve done is stick up a free or cheap web page, why would they care about marketing their business online and why would they waste their time on traffic stats?

As an online marketer, I’m vitally interested in this stuff and I offer my services to people that do need/want to know but who don’t have the time to invest in it.

The fact is however, that the majority of business owners aren’t.
Regs,
JohnW