Home – New Forums Starting your journey Marketing advice Reply To: Marketing advice

kathiemt
  • Total posts: 1,167
Up
::

Hi Kim, may I suggest you create a signature for here via the control panel? That way people will know who you are and how to address you.

A marketer would have lots of contacts and lots of great ideas for getting the word out there about your business. Certainly it wouldn’t hurt to get in touch with one or two to see how they might be able to assist. Most likely they would help you to put a marketing plan or strategy in place.

In the meantime there are things you can do to help yourself. First off, when participating in any forum, make sure you create a signature to let people know who you are and what you do, include your web link. If you haven’t already done so, do the same for your emails. Use that advertising space just as you would a business card. Talking of business cards – do you have one? Make sure you carry it with you everywhere you go and give them out. They’re of no use to you in your desk or bag or a pocket.

Do you go out networking and meeting other business people? I belong to a group called BNI and if you check http://www.bni.com.au you should be able to find a chapter near you. However, your category is a popular one and often that category is filled (only one person per category can join a chapter) but it will give you ideas for promoting your business and help you make connections. Check with your local council website to see if there are any other business networking groups operating. You need to be mixing and mingling with other business owner/operators – not just to get their business but so they can learn about you to tell others about you. Word-of-mouth referrals are a great way to get business.

Facebook and LinkedIn can both work well for you but you need to spend time learning how they can work for you. I’m not sure how successful Gumtree could be for you.

Another site to try is ServiceSeeking.com.au. There is a cost to join if you want to bid for jobs but they do get a lot of website design jobs coming through regularly.

Looking at your site – what is the reference to seedstudio at the bottom of your site? It’s a dead link anyway but if you’re doing web design I’d remove that straight away as it might be sending mixed messages about your services. Your contact page seems to have an error too. And you only have a mobile listed in Australian format. Why not make sure your contact details are international in case you get clients from overseas wanting to use your services?