Home – New Forums Tech talk New Debate – White Hat SEO Reply To: New Debate – White Hat SEO

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::
NickMorris, post: 147677 wrote:
I’ve been flip flopping on this. I don’t think it has much effect now but I do think it has the potential to be a powerful new way of assigning authority to an article, page or website using the popularity, relevancy etc. of that author’s other content.

The main way of “binding” web pages together currently is by seeing which websites they belong to. I see authorship markup being another way that Google can analyse the relationship between different pages of content, including across websites and pass/distribute authority between them appropriately.
Hi Nick,
I think we have to wait and see for authorship markup and SEO. A lot of issues to be assessed including:

1. Will it become a widely used attribute?
2. What does it really contribute to search result relevance?
3. Can it be abused for SE spamming?

I may be misunderstanding you but I’m not sure I see website “authority” as a real ranking parameter. To me it is a construct used to help make a very broad assessment about a website. Eg. Facebook will be assessed as having a huge “authority” but a link from a Facebook page will be almost worthless in ranking results.

Will article authorship offer a relevance measurement or will it simply be an uninformed or biased popularity poll?

NickMorris, post: 147677 wrote:
By the way John, its good to be able to put a face to a name finally.
I’m really only 40 years old but I’ve been involved with the Internet for near 19 years now and everything ages twice as fast in this world.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Thanks for the comment. :)
Best regs,
JohnW