Home – New Forums Other discussions Ever tempted to go back to the ‘dark side’? Reply To: Ever tempted to go back to the ‘dark side’?

kathiemt
  • Total posts: 1,167
Up
::
WhatsThePlanDan, post: 147929 wrote:
I too say thanks for the comments about failing as an employee… sums up where I am right now!

I just want to take over the reigns and show them that if we just put a little bit of innovation and investment in HERE we can blow our competition away, own the market and stop shedding staff to “save costs”.

On top of that I’m sitting here seething after just having had a meeting with my “boss” where it was implied that the company own me and will decide what I can and can’t do with my life and when… 😡

Now… where’s that business plan gotten to… 😎

Can totally relate. I was constantly being told off for ‘fiddling’. All I was doing was making my computer system work much better and organising things as I knew they would work. And that was in 1993! I was told that was the job of the IT staff and I should leave things alone. Thing was almost everyone in the office came to me to ask ‘how do I….?’ I knew how the system worked and I used it well. :p

I would hate being told what I can and can’t do either Dan. I actually had one client tell me that I was their employee and they were going to shift me to an office they wanted to rent in the city back in 1999. I said ‘no thanks, you’re my client and if that’s what you want, perhaps you need to find someone else.’ Needless to say we parted ways. That hurt. They were a good income for me but they weren’t my only client and I wasn’t about to do what they wanted. It was an NFP with new committee on board and they didn’t understand my relationship with their organisation.