Home – New Forums Starting your journey Is bricks & mortar retail a thing of the past in 2013? Reply To: Is bricks & mortar retail a thing of the past in 2013?

LucasArthur
Participant
  • Total posts: 3,171
Up
::
bjc, post: 147617 wrote:
Hi Jason,
I am trying to be concious not to hog the discussion but it is now even more interesting as you are a one in a thousands in that you not only own a B&M store but also considering opening up another in prime area.

In the previous posts we were talking about B&M embracing online, I would assume you are Online embracing B&M. I can see the benefits of online business with a B&M showroom.

In your opinon is this the 21st century B&M model? As in in the near future all bricks & mortar are showrooms with predominate sales coming in from online and not in-store!

Benny

Wow Benny,

This is an interesting question, one of which i am not sure i am versed enough to contribute.. My beliefs are personal and i find it difficult to be concise enough to explain. Although i will try..

As for “is this the 21st century B&M model?”.. not really sure, i do know in our personal experience that having the B&M attached to the online mechanism provides an abundant amount of additional sales opportunities with those predominately a little concerned with buying purely online, sight unseen…

In saying above… i do strongly believe that our personal approach to our clients also encourages the B&M component as we treat all our customers as an extension of our family and welcome them with open arms.. Actually, we have numerous clients call in after the sale (weeks or months) to say hello and we have them ‘educated’ as to what coffee we prefer when they do call in… LOL…

This may also be true that they like coming into our showroom as we have not spent large $$$ on an ecommerce site and it may sort of ‘force’ people to check us out as well… Added to this, as we do a few sales through ebay, we also encourage direct contact with us via a phone call to try and avoid (oops did i say that!) some additional fees that we prefer not to pay if we can avoid ;P

In interpreting the remainder of that sentence you asked “As in in the near future all bricks & mortar are showrooms with predominate sales coming in from online and not in-store!” i strongly agree with this with the majority of items and with those becoming more price sensitive they hunt out dollars.. and the more educated consumers become, and longer standing the online business become the more this comment will be true.. The current issue is weeding out the fly by nighters as opposed to the true legitimate online businesses, of which the B&M goes to re-enforcing…

Wow, i went on again.. soz.. hope that adds a little…

Cheers
Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888