Home – New Forums Other discussions Should you let people know how booked up you are on your website? Reply To: Should you let people know how booked up you are on your website?

Greg_M
  • Total posts: 1,691
Up
::

I think this is a bit of an ongoing challenge for specialsits working solo, I’ve been doing it for a lot of years and still find it tough to get a balance.

I know the first reaction from many will be to tell you to scale up, not saying it wont work but it sounds like to me that what you do is very much based on a particular skill and talent, in your case probably multiplied by the fact what you do is creative.

If you’re anything like me it’s hard to find or duplicate the skills you have.

I still tend to fluctuate between working every hour there is to keep up, and occasionally, twiddling my thumbs.

I do tell clients I’m flat out and will struggle with a deadline after an honest chat about what they want and when … never had one that didn’t come back, and often I’m able to come up with a compromise that gets them (and me) off the hook.

If the workload looks like it will hold, rather than duplicate yourself, maybe off load some admin stuff. I’ve done it successfully at different times but used virtual staff rather than employ direct.

Maybe I’m finally becoming conservative in my old age but scaling up can often mean a very big jump in your fixed overhead … staying small lean and mean, enables you to be quick on your toes if the market shifts.

Lifting your rates is a good start to see if it thins out the bookings.