Home – New Forums Logistics Starting an Import Business Reply To: Starting an Import Business

JacquiPryor
  • Total posts: 2,344
Up
::

Hi Kevin

Would you happen to know how much it would cost to register an ABN or an ACN? I heard that the cost for registering an ABN is free whereas ACN would cost me $800, would you know?

ABN is free.

If you end up going the sole trader route, rather than Pty Ltd company that gives you the ACN then you’ll also need a business name registration most likely, which will cost $70 for 3 years;

ACN (i.e. Company registration) will vary depending on whether you do it yourself directly with ASIC (in which case, I think it’s about $426 from memory), or if you get someone else to do it for you. A company like Shelcom Corporate Services (members here) can look after the company registration for you – for around $700 I think it is; or you could have an accountant do it and they would have to quote you. (See Shelcom’s fees at http://www.shelcom.com.au/fees)…

Note: ASIC will not be able to advise you about the type of structure you need. Usually it is an accountant or solicitor that would provide this sort of advice to you.