Home – New Forums Logistics Import Electric Bike/Scooter requirements ? Reply To: Import Electric Bike/Scooter requirements ?

zayd687
  • Total posts: 77
Up
::

Hi Mr Biolumin and Red log.
I was very curious on your discussion. heres my thoughts.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/orneao.aspx

Motorised Scooters

• To be assessed as a non-road vehicle, a motorised scooter must have a maximum power output of 200 watts or less.
  • Technical specifications issued by the manufacturer, including evidence of the power output, should be attached to the application form.

Please note that where a motorised scooter exceeds 200 watts, it is considered a LA/LB (Moped) under the national standards or a LC (Motorcycle) and must comply with the requirements of other import options. These vehicles cannot be imported as ‘non-road’ vehicles unless they meet other non-road vehicle requirements

I have read this:

• Not a vehicle listed in a Determination under Section 5b of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989.

The Minister may, by legislative instrument, determine that vehicles of a particular class or description are not road vehicles for the purposes of this Act or of a specified provision of this Act. <-- DOI being the minister here.

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule – Definitions and Vehicle Categories) 2005
states that a LA MOPED being of 2 wheels ( scooter ) or 3 wheels LB.
using LA as an example

MOPED – 2 Wheels (LA)

A 2-wheeled motor vehicle, not being a power-assisted pedal cycle, with an engine cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 ml and a ‘Maximum Motor Cycle Speed‘ not exceeding 50 km/h; or a 2-wheeled motor vehicle with a power source other than a piston engine and a ‘Maximum Motor Cycle Speed‘ not exceeding 50 km/h.

So from this summary, where did they get ????”
Please note that where a motorised scooter exceeds 200 watts, it is considered a LA/LB (Moped) under the national standards or a LC (Motorcycle)
Unless they got it from:
POWER-ASSISTED PEDAL CYCLE (AB)

A pedal cycle to which is attached one or more auxiliary propulsion motors having a combined maximum power output not exceeding 200 watts; or

( vehicle standard ADR 2005) , i would put if my scooter with a power source other then a piston engine did not exceed 50kms say 49km from the manufacturers specifications then it would be considered NOT LA/LB moped as it kicks it out of the category and back into the NON- ROAD vehicle, which does not require a permit ( not that its hard to apply) Definitely not a power assisted pedal cycle ( AB).

What do you guys think?