Home – New Forums Selling online Domain name dilemma Reply To: Domain name dilemma

John Romaine
Participant
  • Total posts: 1,108
Up
::
Ashman, post: 183209 wrote:
…register a brand domain name

Sure. Register something that is brandable. That’s one option.

…and then you say register a generic domain name

Sure. That’s another option.

…and then you say buy a domain name

Again, another option.

…and then you say get a domain with SEO attributes.

If you bought a domain, (and did the right research) you would pick up a domain that HAS SEO attributes.

So which is it?

Any one of these options are suitable depending upon your requirements.

let me explain something to you:

I’m all ears. :)

1. Brand domain names are not generic.

Do you know what I’m talking about when I say “generic”?

Incase you missed the point…

A generic domain name….

Doesn’t tie you into one specific service or product offering. Consider Google, Yahoo, Bing, Paypal, Amazon. They’re all generic, meaningless terms really (no keywords there) They could be promoting anything.

Look at my domain name. “Works Media”. That too doesn’t have a specific meaning either. I could be offering SEO services, I could focus just on web design. I could drop all of those things and just concentrate on coaching. Heck, I could change the entire website and sell blue widgets. That’s the BEAUTYof using a generic domain name. It gives you the flexibility to evolve, change, pivot (call it what you will) etc etc – just as a lot of businesses do.

Too often I see people registering keyword rich, or keyword specific domain names like…bluewidgetsbrisbane.com.au then 12 months later they’ve changed their mind and decided that they no longer want to sell blue widgets, OR they’ve moved to Sydney and no longer service the Brisbane area.

Guess what?

They have to change their domain name because it’s no longer relevant. This is why keyword rich domains are a one trick pony. You’re limiting your reach.

2. Brand domain names generally do not contain SEO attributes because they do not have a history on the Internet.

You missed the point completely. I gave each of those as individual suggestions (separately) – not all exclusively mutual.

3. 90% of domain names for sale usually contain keywords and are generic.

I don’t understand how a domain name with targeted keywords in it, could be considered “generic”. (See my point above)

Looks like you have cut and paste advice from different sources without understanding what you are talking about.

I don’t cut and paste anything. I’m speaking from 13 years experience, …you?

From my experience “exact match domain names” out perform brand names in the search engine results pages.

You’re right. In some marketplaces they probably do. Question is, for how much longer? Google has already turned down the weight on how much emphasis EMDs receive. They did it almost 2 years ago. I get the feeling they’ll do it again (even further)

Look, I don’t care which way you cut it. If you want to register an EMD and rank in Google for ONE keyword, by all means, go ahead – knock yourself out. But the way I see it, brands win out for a reason.

Sites like the yellowpages.com.au are going to around a LOT longer than Bob’s domain name of northsydneyplumber.com.au

If you have the budget of a large corporation then sure you will have the marketing power to promote the brand domain name and drive other sources of traffic.

Driving traffic isn’t expensive if you know what you’re doing.