Home – New Forums Other discussions Satisfying Job? Reply To: Satisfying Job?

ozcos
  • Total posts: 32
Up
::

Hi Vex5

I always say, “Opportunities don’t come knocking on your door, they are always standing there. We just need to open the door and walk through”.

First, I find it interesting that you have posted in this particular forum.

“My job preferences are always related to something that I feel passionate about at the time”

Does a change in your passion result in job change or is there something else going on?

I believe it is normal to have genuine interests in various areas come and go over time.

I’ve always been passionate about obtaining a private pilot’s licence, but still yet to achieve it sometimes I can go years without thinking about it, sometimes I can’t get it out of my head for months.

However, I believe real passion doesn’t come and go, passion can be something that burns from within for a very long time or simply no matter what your thoughts are or what you do the passion is just always there.

for me I have known my passsion for a very long time I just didn’t know how to put it into action.

At your age I had job hopped so many times and continued for many years later, I pretty much become the black sheep in the family – “the one we don’t talk about”

Today I believe I have the advantage over many others – job hopping has allowed me to really take notice of so many industries, have been employed in many areas, with so many different roles and responsibilities from trade apprentice, duel trade electrician, IT technician, trainee, customer service, and spent 5ish years playing drums professionally and operated a couple of small studios, travelled around, been paid to go diving, take photos, attend industry conferences and speak at some of these, restaurant waiter, wash dishes, poured beer & attempted to make milk shakes, event management (music industry), worked TV in multimedia production , pizza delivery driver, wash windows, washed cars and mowed lawns, travel agency and hospitality, commercial fire system inspections, smoke alarm testing for real estates, retail, and plenty of others, including what little time I had left to myself I volunteered in community projects, joined many non-profit organisations as active member, founded a non-profit organisation, project manage IT related upgrades to local services. Worked the domestic, commercial and industrial sectors.
Just to mention a few – you will be surprise how many of these I did after the age 30 or more so which ones

Sometimes in the one job for up to 7 years, sometimes only a few months, sometimes up to 3 jobs at the same time.

One thing to always keep in your mind no matter what you do today you are doing it for a reason, it has purpose, and more often than not it will be many years later before you understand the purpose of what you are doing today.

It has only been recently, what the purpose is of what I have been doing for the last 20+ years .

No matter who calls me tomorrow, no matter what service they require from myself or my business there is a 99% chance that I can relate to their industry, sector or business processes at some level.

To sit down with a client for a consult and relate to what they are saying, asking or requesting at a personal experience level is a far from relating on the bases of consulting for the purpose of selling and delivering a solution.

It does not surprise me that today my customers include businesses generally operating in the industries that I have worked in and more so my services are generally solutions to problems I experienced while working in these many jobs.

“but then I lose interest and I’ll find the next thing I feel interested in and it goes on and on…”

In my case I eventually called it dancing around the target, I’m highly experienced at this dance often with the same feelings you are experiencing, and this is not a bad thing with each step you take you are getting closer to the centre or target.

Chances are, you already know your real passion, and it just maybe you don’t know how to get the ball rolling.

If you are still not sure, my suggestion is just jot down on a piece of paper, every single passion you have had in the past right up to today but not the job related to the passion.

Once you have your list on a single piece of paper – take as much time as you require and see if you can find and understand the thing that links these together this might provide some direction.

I also believe to deliver yourself at your full potential meaning you are passionately fulfilled, you also need the vehicle that drives your path.

No matter how passionate you are about something and even if you are working the related field if the vehicle is not right for you, you still may not be fulfilled or feel something is just a miss.

The vehicle is nothing more than the environment you are in, like the job position, the company you are working for, current level of experience, qualifications, or your social circle, maybe your location, it may be many factors.

Everybody has the same opportunity to design, create and build their own vehicle.

And if you can’t find your vehicle what’s stopping you from building it?

Maybe try jotting down everything you liked, all the good things about each and every job you have experienced.
You never know you might have started designing the framework for your vehicle.

For me my vehicle is my business, I still have a long way to go before the final design is completed but it provides the fulfilment that has been missing for the last 20+ years that no job could offer no matter what position, responsibility or income it provided.

Most importantly my vehicle is driven by my passion down the road I created.

and when you spend as many years dancing around the target as I have, when you hit the bullseye I guarantee, you will know it. You will hit it so hard with so much passion nothing will stop you.