Home – New Forums Other discussions Satisfying Job? Reply To: Satisfying Job?

Nicola D
  • Total posts: 9
Up
::

Hi Vex5,

I only just stumbled upon your question as it was in the weekly update from FS.
Awesome question and what incredible self awareness you have at 22. It took me decades to figure out what you already know about yourself.

I am going to take a different approach to the other respondents. I am going to suggest some reading and research focused on you, how you need to operate to feel fulfilled and successful – career choice or choices can come later. Try Barbara Sher’s “Refuse to Choose”or “I could do anything, if only I knew what it was”. Another great read (if you are the personality I think you might be) is “The Renaissance Soul” by Margaret Lobenstine.

If these resonate with you, for you it will be more a case of how you work vs. what you do. What will be key is variety, short term projects, plenty of new things to learn. It’s not “what will I do with for the rest of my life, but what will I do next?” The word focus will have a very different meaning for you.

I have been: a high school teacher, run my own English language school in France, taught in the Middle East, managed summer schools all over the UK, switched to IT training, then moved into Leadership training and coaching, and psychometric assessments (which is why I now know so much about myself!). Then I retrained as an Interior Designer (long-held passion) and now I coach, design, and run a co-working space. Oh and I’m a barista early in the morning.

Others might judge me, I don’t mind. I get a lot of raised eyebrows. But it’s the ONLY way I’ve found to feel fulfilled.

Hope this helps :-)

Nicola