Home – New Forums Tech talk How do you make your website mobile-friendly? Reply To: How do you make your website mobile-friendly?

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::

Re: What is the most important attribute of an e-com site?

Zava Design, post: 197609 wrote:
I don’t see it as a “can of worms” at all. Mobile device access is a growing ratio of website visitors on every website, ecommerce I would think even more so (but web stats would confirm the exact numbers for an individual site). Indeed for many sites it may be the dominant user access channel.

Load speed? If that’s an issue find another developer. With good mobile first development this should not be an issue.

Can be but it should not be. I don’t charge significantly more for the sites I build now that I include responsiveness (which for my mind is not a debate on whether it should be included or not). The “larger” digital agency I used to AM/PM at don’t for their solution which delivers a different version of the site to mobile devices.

And if there were any additional costs, it boils down to a pretty simple question: Can you afford to release a site in 2014 (or beyond) that is not responsive? People may debate the answer, for me there’s enough evidence that there’s no debate. Web usability is about making the experience as pleasant & easy for the user as possible. On a mobile device that should be a mobile optimised version of the site, rather than a desktop version the user has to pinch and zoom and try to click on tiny links to use.

This element might be even more important depending on your target market. If it’s 16 – 24 year olds (for example) then I would expect the mobile device access figures to be significantly higher in most cases. Indeed in some cases that you should be focusing on a mobile device site first and foremost (hence the growing focus on “mobile first” responsive sites/development).
Hi Zava,
Matt read my comments as intended.

To clarify, I’m saying…

1. Responsive design is not automatically the best answer to every situation.

2. Adaptive design may be a much better communication solution in some situations but that it can be a lot more expensive than responsive design.

3. Lots of studies into what people do on Smartphones suggest that not every website needs either responsive design or adaptive design.

According to the studies I’ve read, the vast majority of Internet time spent by most Smartphone users is on:

Emails
Social media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Entertainment – games, music, video

When it comes to other types of websites, there are certain types of info they are predominantly seeking. This includes:

Phone numbers
Addresses
Directions
Price comparisons of certain types of known products
Deals
Orders/bookings – food & entertainment
Other

The majority of Aust businesses are in the B2B category. I suggest that many of them would gain more benefit by improving their websites in areas that don’t require responsive design or adaptive design.

I am not saying that you ignore Smartphone usage. I’m saying every situation needs to be assessed on its merits. For a lot of websites, the single most important Smartphone factor may be to ensure the business phone number is “tappable” and displayed on the Home page. You don’t need responsive design for that.

I recently reviewed a website where the “Contact” details were burried in a secondary level under “About Us”. Responsive design would not fix that basic “howler” of site structure.

The other Smartphone delivery mechanism we have ignored is apps. It has been reported that 80% of USA Smartphone usage time is spent on apps.

“The mobile war is over and the app has won: 80% of mobile time spent in apps”

Can you see why I think a can of worms was opened with this discussion?
Regs,
JohnW