Home – New Forums Tech talk How do you make your website mobile-friendly? Reply To: How do you make your website mobile-friendly?

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::
Zava Design, post: 197925 wrote:
John, this is an essential goal, but according to that page of case studies I posted (plus MANY more case studies that are available on the same subject matter) those “communications goals” are being met by well implemented responsive sites in many cases. Unless those companies are lying those are facts that back this up.

Just about every single “issue” you have mentioned about responsive websites are a case of bad implementation, nothing more.
Hi Zava,
It is impossible to achieve all the possible communications objectives on a Smartphone as there may be on a large sceened desktop/tablet (and vice versa).

It seems to me, these are the three major Smartphone communications barriers:

• A tiny screen
  • A tiny unstable keyboard
  • No access to other devices

1. A tiny screen
Can the tousism industry which is very reliant on large, evocative images achieve its imagery communications objectives well on a Smartpohone screen?

What about all the industries and communications that need to provide complex diagrams? You can’t read these on a Smartphone screen.

Then there are tabular charts. With Smartphones you are constrained to a screen width of 320 pixels. Many tables cannot work in this narrow space.

Information presented in a multi-column table format has been around for centuries and for very good reasons. Basically, it makes certain types of information easier to read, understand and remember. So many tables will no longer be comprehensible on a Smartphone screen.

If we were constrained to watch an Imax movie with a patch over one eye and a toilet roll viewer for the other, would Imax have got off the ground?

2. A tiny unstable keyboard
The keyboard has always been the biggest communications barrier for PCs. Now with Smartphones we are being asked to type one fingered on an often moving platform.

OMG! It’s why whole new dictioneries of TLAs and FLAs have been created in many different languages.

I’d love to know how many new customers are attracted to online shops on Smartphones where the user has to type everything in for the first time with a Smartphone keyboard.

Would you expect a better completion rate for a lengthy online survey if the viewer was constrained to complete it on a Smartphone? (LMDO!)

Then there is online search…
Google is offering speech search as a work around but is having troubles not only with our non-USA accents but with the background noise on Smartphones.

The need to reduce typing is also why it came out with its predictive search function.

3. No access to other devices
The longest web page I’ve read printed out as 50+ pages. How much of that would I have read on a Smartphone?

There are so many communications situations where some document needs to be printed and circulated offline. Smartphones are not hooked up to printers.

By the same token, there are communications objectives that can be achieved on a Smartphone that can’t be achieved on a desktop.

These physical issues cannot be addressed by any sort of HTML publishing methodology.

The problem is that many organisations are content to be mobile, without actually thinking mobile.:)
Regs,
JohnW