Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Please review my shopping wesite Reply To: Please review my shopping wesite

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::

To Owners of Online-only Shopping Sites,

There is good news and bad news.

The Good News

The figures cited above are in fact:

“The percentage of searches that result in a local purchase”

I.e They report how many people use mobile phones to search for local bricks and mortar retailers and their products.

People can read the following information in the article referenced:

“Takeaway:

• If you have a local business, make sure you are optimizing for local search.
  • If you have a local business, make sure your website is optimized for mobile viewers.
  • Customers who find your local establishment on mobile will be prepared to convert.”

It is listed just above the statistics picture.

The Bad News

The survey is another example of what I said above, that life has been getting tougher for your online-only shop in recent years:

• More offline competitors expanding to online
  • Search engines hurting many generic referrals to shopping sites

What happens is that when people search for retail categories or products on mobile phones, Google skews the search results to their phone’s location.

That means the local bricks and mortar shops’ websites go up the list while all the online-only shop sites NOT nearby (or which have no location listed) go down.

I am not saying that your sites should not be mobile-friendly, just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and that you employ tactics relevant to your marketplace.

A mobile-friendly website does not at this stage impact on your Google ranking on mobile phone searches.
Regs,
JohnW