Home – New Forums Tech talk The current state of the SEO industry and how you can avoid getting burnt Reply To: The current state of the SEO industry and how you can avoid getting burnt

Aidan
  • Total posts: 1,125
Up
::

<2cents>

I’m going to chime in here and say every case is different.

What the SEO guy does will depend on the situation and what is required. If it means many hours of research and audit just to get to the start point then that time has to be paid for.

If he is to provide the copy, then that too has to be paid for. Is he providing input on design for conversion optimisation? Maybe he is even responsible for the entire site design? Ditto with paying for that too.

Are there particular keywords that are targeted? Many clients and agencies still do that for various reasons despite everyone understanding the real goal is traffic and conversions… that effort has to be paid for too.

I do all that stuff and more, usually on a whitelabel basis behind web designers or digital marketing agencies…

On the other hand I have a direct client who is very good at design and copy and she is very interested in, and quite knowledgeable on SEO. In her case I act only as the ‘director’ spending just a couple of hours a month on ‘review and instruct’ SEO activity.

I don’t charge her like I charge the others!

The point is – SEO services vary, they vary a lot.

There is no point arguing what is high or low, good or bad, without looking at what is actually needed and provided.