Home – New Forums Tech talk The current state of the SEO industry and how you can avoid getting burnt Reply To: The current state of the SEO industry and how you can avoid getting burnt

John Romaine
Participant
  • Total posts: 1,108
Up
::
JohnW, post: 200682 wrote:
It has always been about content. Links can only support content.

Not true.

Go to Google and search for “click here”

Look at the first result. It’s adobe reader.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Where on that page, is there “content” that supports that phrase John?

It’s nowhere.

It ranks highly for that term because of the contextual links that point to it.

Infact 0.98% of their anchor text ratio for over 32 million backlinks contains the phrase “click here”, which equates to over 31,000 inbound links.

That page has nothing to do with “click here”

It has been demonstrated numerous times that with enough EMA’s a page can rank for a term it shouldn’t.

First you need a page that qualifies for the search result list. So, if you don’t have a page that qualifies, the number of links to it won’t matter.

Perhaps for silly non competitive terms, but definitely not competitive ones.

Then there are the words in the search phrase. If an external link has no relevance to the words in the search phrase, it has probably negligible impact on your page’s ranking.

What?

John that simply isn’t true.

What about brand links?

There are millions of sites that show up in the SERPS that have no commercial terms in their link profile. They’re all made up of non related terms “click here”, “view more”, “view our website”, (company name), and naked urls.

After that, there is the volume of competition for the search results list.

The competition that matters are the 10 sites on the first page. After that, it’s meaningless. Who cares if there are 290 million results?

At this point we need to consider the infinite number of search phrases that people may use to find info about your product/service. Now we enter into the realm of the fallacy of “frequently used keywords”. The truth is that “frequently used keywords”, AREN’T!

But we can identify frequently used keywords??? Using Google’s keyword planner. That’s what its for.

Example:
A search phrase that used to find the example site referenced earlier in the thread was, “hardwood sleepers 200×100 Rockhampton”. There are only 10 pages that Google reports that match this phrase, so none of them need any links to rank on the first page of the results.

People will say, “Who uses an obscure search phrase like that?” The answer is about 70% of the potential customers for your product or service.

John, there is no search volume, and no competition for that term, so your example is far from typical, and to be fair, I don’t think should be used as an example here to justify that “links don’t matter”. It is common knowledge for meaningless terms to hit the first page in Google with no backlinking at all

hardwood sleepers 200×100 Rockhampton – 0 searches per month
hardwood sleepers Rockhampton – 0 searches per month

For much of these SE referrals, links won’t matter at all.

See above.

I could probably rattle off best part of 20 different parameters that I believe Google uses to assess link values. The referenced article touches accurately on very few of them.

I don’t agree that the value lies in the links. Infact, that doesn’t make any sense at all, because if it did, we wouldn’t need to worry about wherethe links were built/placed.

The value lies in the referring domain, and the value that the referring page has. Its all about ….

1. Relevancy (at the page level)
2. Domain authority
3. Page authority

and then if you want to get right down to it, citation flow, trust flow, and page rank (although page rank is becoming a weaker overall signal)

The problem is that we can have very little input on these factors when the links are on someone else’s website. That is part of the reason for Google using these parameters.

This is why a lot of people build out private blog networks. So that they have more control.

** I haven’t read the article you’re referring to, so I’ll leave it there.