Home – New Forums Tech talk The current state of the SEO industry and how you can avoid getting burnt Reply To: The current state of the SEO industry and how you can avoid getting burnt

Aidan
  • Total posts: 1,125
Up
::
Byron Trzeciak, post: 200678 wrote:

Here is something further to fuel the fire in this thread. These ranking factors were released by Search Metrics this month I believe. I don’t typically read into this stuff as it’s only one view and one result set but treat it as you like.

http://www.searchmetrics.com/en/knowledge-base/ranking-factors/

Byron,

that image nearly broke my screen!

I’m very much in the ‘links matter’ camp for competitive search but I hate the searchmetrics stuff because it gives folks the impression that tweets and facebook likes and shares are going to help their SEO.

They don’t – and Google have told us so (many times now)

It’s so important to differentiate corelation from causation. Just because a high ranking page has lots of shares and likes does not mean those shares and likes made the high ranking happen. They happened because the page is good and/or has been promoted well.

Unfortunately some less attentive SEO folk will take that Searchmetrics stuff as licence to tell their clients to “do something on social media” for their SEO – I know, I’ve seen it espoused many times, including here on FlyingSolo.