Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a carpentry / handyman business? Reply To: Starting a carpentry / handyman business?

alliedib
  • Total posts: 453
Up
::

Some good answers so far!

Because I do a lot of work with small business startups, I did a Small Business Management 101 course through our local Business Enterprise Centre. It was only a 3 hour workshop but I found it very beneficial. Your local BEC may have something like this for you.

Australian Business Licensing Information Service (https://ablis.business.gov.au/pages/home.aspx) will give you some idea on what licenses you need in your state – as for insurance you should be looking at the following:

– Public / Products Liability – you can buy these very cheaply online but they may not take into account your circumstances. You can ring an insurance broker and they can advise you of a policy that suits your individual circumstances.
– Tools of Trade / General Property – cover in case your tools are stolen or damaged in an accident (and this does happen – a client of mine had his tools trailer containing 20 years worth of tools stolen earlier this month from his house).
– Builders Warranty – as mentioned you may need this if you undertake work over a certain value.
– Management Liability – cover for the day to day running of your business.
– Workers Compensation
– Commercial Motor / Trailer
– Personal Accident / Income Protection

Certainly a lot to look into but I recommend these types of policies for my trades clients (depending on their individual circumstances).

Let me know if you have any questions or need me to clarify.

Regards,

Mark