Home – New Forums Starting your journey Confused about building codes Reply To: Confused about building codes

  • Total posts: 9

To help you along, just ask the managing agent which class of building you are buying into. A breakdown according to the BCA (or NCC) is as follows:

Class 1 – A single dwelling being a detached house or one or more attached dwellings.
Class 2 – A building containing 2 or more sole occupancy units each being a separate dwelling.
Class 3 – A resident building, other than a Class 1 or 2, which is common place of long term or transient living for a number of unrelated persons.
Class 4 – A dwelling in a building that is Class 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 if it is the only dwelling in the building.
Class 5 – An office building used for professional or commercial purposes, excluding buildings of Class 6, 7, 8 or 9.
Class 6- A shop or other building for the sale of goods by retail or the supply of services direct to the public.
Class 7 – A building which is a car park or for storage, or display of goods or produce for sale by wholesale.
Class 8 – A laboratory, or a building in which a handicraft or process for the production, assembling, altering, repairing, packing, finishing, or cleaning of goods or produce is carried on for trade, sale or gain.

Generally, you want to make sure that if you need wastesanitary services for your operation, that you have occupied a Class 6 premises, and not a Class 5 (although it may be possible to operate from a Class 5 depending on your final arrangement).
It shouldnt cost you any money to ask if there is an existing BCA report that clarifies what premises you are occupying. With some buildings, it may be possible for you to obtain a fitout guideline. I would recommend trying to grab these pieces of info before signing anything.

Good luck.