Home – New Forums Tech talk Why most small-medium business shouldn’t outsource SEO Reply To: Why most small-medium business shouldn’t outsource SEO

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::
Aidan, post: 208343 wrote:
I know we can get them ranking quickly for ‘jewish electrician Bondi’ but in truth they don’t really care about that, they want to know how to compete with what they see their competitors doing and if that is ‘electrician eastern suburbs’ or ‘plumber Gold Coast’ then that is the quest in their eyes.

Of course we try to educate them against getting overly wrapped up in one keyword when there is a plethora of high converting terms they can have more easily than, and in addition to, their hero term. We’re often successful in that too and client learns to be happy with the easier wins that add up.
Hi Aidan,
Yep, that’s the first response for so many of my clients also…

Fortunately, if you are dealing with an accounting practice as per my example, they do tend to go for the money and ROI type measurements.

They know that the first new not-for-profit client that was referred by their website paid for their very small SEO cost in its first year’s accounting fees. There were then two more new not-for-profit clients in 6 months and all of these (plus any other new customers) have generated a very significant boost in the practice’s cummulative profits over the last 5 years.

And that’s just the few new clients I know about!

I’m finding market segmentation to be a very useful way of converting clients from the old fixation of the search ranking of their competitors. I try to get them focused on 3 client types for starters. For the old accountant client, in addition to not-for-profit clients it was multilevel marketers and schools. I note they are still up there all these years later for some of these search variants. (Not a bad return for less than $1k of SEO.)

Many clients don’t understand initially how important marketing knowledge and experience is in the SEO process. I’ve found that since Google killed its keywords report that it is easier to focus on important marketing issues. (And I was a major sceptic at the time.)

I’m out of the loop now but I’m intrigued at how well that 5 year old Chatswood accountant project has held up in the ranking results for so many client-important ranking terms and that is without any further input from me. Just goes to show the importance of correct client SEO education and strategy planning for small businesses.

There is nothing new in the concept of market segementation to marketers. Seems it is new to some SEOs around here who think results are best attained by blindly targeting frequently used search phrases. I got cured of that stupidity years ago when a client told me he had to initiate a training process for his receptionist to cull out all the irrelevant phone enquiries from his website.

Hopefully these sorts of SEOs with their limited knowledge won’t waste too much business owner’s money before they wake up to the fallacy.

It seems Google finally got round to limiting multiple page rankings from the same site. I can see 4 top 10 pages for the odd search phrase for the accountant’s site. Another industrial client’s site has finally dropped dramatically from the first 16 results to the top 4 for so many phrases. It will be interesting to see if the client observes a drop in enquiries as a result.

Oh well! Long overdue, not unexpected and still a lot of exposure possible if the SEO knows what he/she’s doing.
Regs,
JohnW