Home – New Forums Tech talk New Phone System Suggestions Reply To: New Phone System Suggestions

Gizmo
  • Total posts: 731
Up
::
TehCamel, post: 211148 wrote:
So, naturally, yes – there is most definitely a communication delay that occurs when one end-point is located further away than another. Whether it’s enough to notice in the speech, is a different matter.

Correct. Also I can assure you that you can hear the difference.
That is the whole reason I put a global network in place, to remove that delay and create business quality calls.

Well, yes, of course. All VOIP services are vulnerable to bottlenecks (or QoS) as it’s all constrained by the lower layers on the stack. Doesn’t really matter how to try to spin it – bottlenecks or something else.
Regardless – the same internet connection at my end-point, suffering congestion, will still experience better performance to a local server than an international server (unless of course, the congestion is close to the server node, rather than close to me.)

You know your stuff :)
But to add to it if I may. The more hops there are between the two end points in a VoIP communication, the more likely you will have issues. That is because every hop has the possibility to introduce jitter or packet loss.
As soon as jitter or packetloss is incurred it no longer matters how far away the server is. At that point the quality has most likely been impacted. Having a close server only minimize the chance of more packet loss or jitter.
But must importantly have a closer server node if designed right will reduce the latency, i.e. a delay in your phone call conversation.
I understand this importance and because of this the network I put in place is designed to reduce the chances of packetloss and jitter, while at the same time ensuring that the two people talking do not hear a delay in their conversation.

Yep, which Amazon servers? I’d be interested to spin up a couple of identical EC2 instances in the SEA region and also in the US East and US West region and actually run traceroutes and ping tests but I’m almost certain that you’d see slower response times to USW and USE than SEA.

Let me know how this test goes.
My guess is you will see about 250ms to US servers and about 100ms to SEA severs.
if you decide to test voip over it I can tell you that you will hear the difference as a longer delay in the conversation, well I could when I did similar tests.