Home – New Forums Tech talk Google News: G is already implementing a separate ranking algo for mobile devices Reply To: Google News: G is already implementing a separate ranking algo for mobile devices

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::

Hi All,
Another article reporting Google employee’s comments about the new smartphome algo…

6 Mar 15: Google Mobile-Friendly Algorithm Currently Doesn’t Differentiate Some Desktop Ranking Signals
“there are still many desktop signals used for mobile ranking, including page speed…”

“Having a slow or fast mobile site should not impact your mobile-rankings, assuming your desktop site is fast. Google still uses many desktop signals for mobile ranking, even after April 21st.”

“But for algorithms like Penguin or Panda, it makes less sense to break them out on a mobile vs. desktop basis…”

So, how do we configure, design, structure and SEO a mobile website to attract more SE referrals with the new Google smartphone algorithm?

All the clues so far seem to be as clear as mud.

I’m still betting on the intitial changes being relatively small compared to what the algo will be like in 12 months time and that non-mobile factors such as location, desktop speed and Universal search will be more important in the initial algo release than any factors reported in G’s mobile-friendly analysis tools.

Given all the levers that G can pull, chances are I’m wrong but it’s equally likely so is everyone else.

I’m advising my clients that big changes are imminent but that they hold off on activating a mobile site until we have some facts about the mobile algo to work on.
Regs,
JohnW