Home – New Forums Tech talk How to charge for an SEO service? Reply To: How to charge for an SEO service?

John Romaine
Participant
  • Total posts: 1,108
Up
::
checkvault, post: 210727 wrote:
In the end I did not accept the job. As you rightly said, the client is paying me. So I have to be able to justify that the work was done correctly.

Hey mate, more power to you. I respect that. You did the right thing. Saying no sometimes is the right choice.

It certainly doesn’t mean you need to be bummed about it. I’ll do my best to answer your questions below for you, as comprehensively as I can, however at the end of the day, you’ll need to ask yourself if SEO is a space which interests you enough to a) learn it, and b) start offering it as a paid service.

If it is, then I would recommend you find a mentor.

Now, your questions….

I guess the main question still is how much liability will I have to take on if I do an SEO task?

I am certainly not about to give you legal advice here (I’m not qualified to) but in any case, you should be using a solid contract that outlines, scope, expectations, deliverables and more, upon entering into an agreement with your clients.

In other words, use a professional contract. Seek professional assistance.

I’ve seen this question pop up a couple of times in the forum in relation to websites (where clients get someone to do a website so that they can get more customers – does that mean the client will only pay once they start getting more customers?).

What you’re referring to is what’s known as “performance based SEO”. This is a usually a HUGE no no. For many reasons….

1. You cant make guarantees over something that’s beyond your control
2. You have no control over your clients internal sales process
3. SEO by nature is inherently volatile.
4. Difficult clients may at any point, change their goals and objectives
5. Third party amendments may cause downward trends. (Note – this is something that should be covered in your contract)

In any case, avoid performance based SEO. It’s problemetic for a variety of reasons, in addition to the ones I’ve mentioned above.

PS – Many sleazy agencies use performance based SEO as their “USP”. Don’t rank, don’t pay – that kind of nonsense.

Say I know what is to be done when doing SEO, and then work a job for a client, but in the end their product just doesn’t work in the market. How much do I then get involved in the sales process to make the SEO work?

You don’t. You’re not being hired as a salesperson.

How will be able to justify to the client that the SEO work was done properly and should be paid for;

Firstly, if you have to “justify” yourself, or the work you’ve done, then there are much bigger issues at hand. You either

a) don’t know what you’re doing
b) are not confident in your abilities
c) have hired the wrong client
d) don’t have set processes in place

…etc etc

Its up to you do demonstrate your expertise and guide them towards success. But please, don’t try to “fake it”. Clients aren’t stupid. They will see through your nonsense immediately.

SEO isn’t something you can “know enough about to be dangerous”. You’re either all in, or not at all. Its all about confidence, knowledge, experience, and working with absolute purpose.

that the product just isn’t fit for the market.

You should have addressed this before entering into the agreement. Pre qualifying clients is absolutely essential.

They can turn around and say that the product was fit for the market but the SEO work did not allow it work.

You must address this as said above. Pre-qualify your clients. Set expectations levels ahead of starting. Ensure they’re a good fit.