Home Forums New here? Share your story How much commission should I charge for website listing & sales in retail fashion Reply To: How much commission should I charge for website listing & sales in retail fashion

Jason Ramage
Participant
  • Total posts: 3,161

Hi DruSkul or A {insert name here}

Hope you are well.. May i welcome you to the forums and also suggest it may benefit you to add a little more about yourself or business in this Intro Section so we can get to know you a little better ;)..

For those ;) that replied before me, i commend you as this is such an unusual proposition.. Well, in my eyes it is… And with the information provided, albeit quite comprehensive on the commission side of things, I find this query near impossible to answer and this is based on my previous retail/wholesale and import experience along with many many years of ‘sales’ experience…

What i mean is that although there is a lot about what is proposed, there is little in what you are actually going to bring to the table with experience and the likes and seems that there are 2 roles being combined which also is a little unusual.. One being the web admin guy/gal and then the second being SEO/Traffic driver? Correct me if i am incorrect, please…

Just a couple of points.. Even if those margins are discussed, you need to bare in mind all other costs the actual business owner is burdening..

As a business owner, and operator of the website i assume, i can not see any major advantage in paying a commission to someone who is maintaining my site as such and would opt to employ someone on a per product upload basis with ZERO commission…

As you, i see this as a huge win whatever the commission fee is arranged.. Reason is that, even though you are investing considerable time in the outset uploading images and the likes (which really isnt that long if all files are provided correctly) there is very little ongoing maintenance required to keep a product in a website shop.. So the longer it is online and the more of that single item that are sold over time you will continue (forever i assume) to benefit from the sale and with dollar cost averaging the time spent upfront will be mitigated quite quickly if the enterprise is successful.

Although the above are not answers, i wanted to just throw a little different perspective into the equation.. Really, i am more curious about how this conversation has come about and is this person a friend or business associate? All of which can change your approach a little..

Look forward to reading more about you.

Jason

ps.. i think the margin has little to no insight into the question you are asking re commission – the margin, as Bala inferred, is irrelevant in this equation and can sometimes be too much information which can taint some peoples expectations.

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888