Home – New Forums Other discussions Calling all the dads Reply To: Calling all the dads

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
Keymaster
  • Total posts: 2,566
Up
::

1. 4 years ago.
2. It was a year or two coming (I think the seed was initially planted a couple of years before when I read The 4 Hour Work Week), then the final trigger came when my son Lewis was born. I was working long hours and was away from home a lot (in the mining industry). Work-life balance was already tough for me, let alone family life. I took time off indefinitely, and never went back.
3. More time at home, flexible hours, and I still have Wednesdays off with Lewis. I’m happier, and what I like about business is you learn a lot about who you are and what you want out of life, because you seem to have to make life decisions far more often.
4. No.
5. Although you might be making the switch for lifestyle reasons I believe you need to focus squarely on the money issue from day 1. It may be hard to do if the decision that “money isn’t everything” is what allowed you to jump. But money is the fuel for your new dream. If your new path is threatened by financial pressure, and wavering support from your spouse, bringing in a bunch of cash will melt these issues, and make your new life sustainable and a source of happiness rather than stress.