Home – New Forums Tech talk tips please Reply To: tips please

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::
Kosta_Kondratenko, post: 217525, member: 4186 wrote:
Hi John,

If he’s just looking to rank for his brand name then that was my advice – a couple of directory links will help him in his local listings as far as citations go – one thing I didn’t mention is setting up a Google Local page.

You are right that directory listings – many/most are nofollow but I still think they pas enough link juice to rank for non competitive/low competition keywords.

The ideal would be generating traffic from non brand keywords I agree – however if a business is not even ranking for their brand, well that’s a first step – that’s all I was saying.

Best,
Kosta
Hi Kosta,
Things are looking worse as I explore this site and its owner’s other site.

I could find no online reference to a business called, “Tax Online Fast” other than on this domain. There is not even an address listed for it on the site.

I suspect the site is being held up by what used to be called the Google “sandbox”. (New domains/sites are/were intentionally held back in the rankings to minimise SE spam.)

This is one of the ways G is now using “citations” or references in major business directories and Google My Business. YP and major directory listings may help get out of the “sandbox” faster but “nofollow” links won’t improve ranking positions in searches.

The picture gets murkier.

It looks like the website of the accounting company that owns this one, may have been hacked or was using very dodgy SEO services. It seems there is a hidden link on every page, written in Cyrillic script that says, “customs clearance of cars in Ukraine”.

Is the new site getting caught up in the parent site’s questionable position? Who knows?

Just to clarify “nofollow” links for folk…

From Google’s Search Console Help:

How does Google handle nofollowed links?

“This means that Google does not transfer PageRank or anchor text across these links. Essentially, using nofollow causes us to drop the target links from our overall graph of the web.”

Regs,
JohnW