Home – New Forums Tell me straight… WHY IS IT SO HARD TO BE SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE? Reply To: WHY IS IT SO HARD TO BE SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE?

Startafreshlife
  • Total posts: 35
Up
::
Johny, post: 222286, member: 34822 wrote:
I am inclined to agree with a lot of that. If, for example, people give to charity because it makes them feel better, then as you say, better that they give, rather than worry about the reason.

But individuals aren’t in the habit of running down the street and yelling out they just gave $10.00 to the Cancer Fund. It may make you feel good about yourself, but you aren’t doing it because you want something back.

And that’s where I see the distinction. Many companies do it specifically to raise awareness with the intent of maximizing profits.

In my world which is the sourcing of products, we are often told about how large corporations are now being more socially responsible with ethical sourcing practices. I do however find it interesting that they only ever become more ethically responsible AFTER they have been outed by the media, which is usually after people have died somewhere.

From that perspective, being ethical costs more. It is that simple. And despite what people say about being prepared to pay more, most aren’t.

So as you can see, I am quite cynical about it all. Doesn’t make me right, just the result of what I have seen over the years.