Home – New Forums Starting your journey I had a little nut tree… Reply To: I had a little nut tree…

Welsh Dog
  • Total posts: 5
Up
::
bb1, post: 239706, member: 53375 wrote:
Wow really, and you signed. Ok, so you may have made the mistake of your life, but anyhow, now that you are committed, sure get as much info from the vendor.

I understand where you’re coming from, but we’ve pretty much cleared the mortgage so at the very *worst* we’ll end up with a huge garden peppered with attractive bushes to walk through. As I said the purchase was primarily as a home. The business side is almost (but perhaps not quite) secondary. :)

But then I would very quickly get onto you local guru’s in the nuts and truffles areas and have a good chat to them. Sure this forum will give you a lot of good info. But you need local knowledge, not just of the market conditions in that area, but also how much fact, but more importantly how much fiction your vendor may have told you. I know a local real estate agent, and he always says to me if the vendor is unwilling to talk before contracts are signed, you should be extremely unwilling to sign.

The local guru’s will know how much is the average yield for your area, they may even have contacts for selling, or value adding yourself.

Had the ‘farming’ aspect been our primary concern I think we’d both have been more concerned, but we’re quite comfortable with the situation despite the potential for problems. Also, the vendor has asked us to come down one weekend before they move out to give us a ‘Farming 101’ talk about how he set the place up, how the irrigation and fire-fighting equipment works, potential yields and his current ‘harvesting’ methods (he’s leaving equipment such as drying and sorting machinery he bought in advance of increased yields). He’s a lecturer in organic farming and his wife is a highly respected artist. The main reason for selling is to go back to be near her family in NZ. With luck and some probing, he might pass on information about his sources for bottles, labels, logos etc as well so we’re not too concerned… at the moment. :)

Finding the right people to talk to *will* be an issue. I know the area has the right climatic conditions for both hazelnuts and truffles so theoretically both should grow with few problems, allowing for the incredible difficulty surrounding truffle production. However, I’m yet to locate any producers within several hundred kilometres. There are a few in SA but nobody within easy reach.

Talk to these people as well
http://trufflegrowers.com.au/
http://hazelnuts.org.au/static/

I saw both sites but never thought to contact them directly which was probably a bit silly in hindsight but I thought as ‘peak bodies’ my questions might be a bit ‘low level’. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained so I’ll do that next week and see where it takes me.

Thanks for the help by the way. Ideas and suggestions are always useful! :D