Home – New Forums Starting your journey If you had unlimited access to a business consultant… Reply To: If you had unlimited access to a business consultant…

JohnTranter
  • Total posts: 842
Up
::

Hey Laura,

To be honest I’m a bit of a cynic when it comes to business consultants. I’ve seen so many come into companies I’ve worked at where they’ve increased company overheads without actually achieving much.
e.g. we need more meetings (“better communication”) and timesheets need to be to the nearest 9 minutes (“better metrics”)
Or the advice is so generic that it may as well be printed on a motivational poster. “work smarter, not harder”

Now I’m a small business owner, an increase in overhead without achieving any benefits could sink me.

So my first question would be:
Why should I trust you and your advice?

My second would be:
What experiece do you have in my industry and what’s your understanding of my position?

And thirdly:
This is where I am, this is where I want to be, how do I get there?

If you could assure me that you can help me create a roadmap of how to achieve my dream company, I’d be happy to listen to you. :)

Hope this helps, I don’t know if it’s representative of other small business owners but it’s my own feelings.

John