Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Why don’t you have a website? Reply To: Why don’t you have a website?

Greg_M
  • Total posts: 1,691
Up
::
Johny, post: 244985, member: 34822 wrote:
Thanks Greg.

As you probably have seen, I make my comments as someone who is rather sceptical about some of the messages out there about the need for all this digital presence, especially as it is easy to fudge, and often those benefits are not tangible.

But here is an interesting article I recently read….

https://www.socialmedianews.com.au/social-media-statistics-australia-december-2016/

I don’t take a lot of this stuff at face value because we never get any idea about how the stats are determined, etc.

Nevertheless, it does beg the question that if something like Facebook is accessed by 6 in 10 Australians (give or take, and let alone the other channels), how does that compare to being googled on a website?

I can’t see how being on fb limits your opportunities.

Is your view blinkered by your dislike of fb? Is the view of website developers blinkered by the need to earn a living? Or are the stats shown here rubbish?

Sorry, like they used to tell me in exams…read the question fully before you answer.

“Is your view blinkered by your dislike of fb? Is the view of website developers blinkered by the need to earn a living? Or are the stats shown here rubbish?”

They could all be true.

Certainly true regarding Facebook.

I can’t answer for other developers, but in my case I don’t think so…if some one wanting a website is familiar with FB and/or likes it (or any other SM publishing platform) I always suggest they do something about developing their presence, sometimes giving them a couple of clues (Like don’t post dumb personal stuff) but state loud and clear I’m not man to listen too…guess that’s an obvious hole in my service but I try to stick to my knitting and not bullshit that I can provide a service that I can’t…I think stance this has paid off in my retention of clients, not so much now as I’m really a part timer but certainly in the past it did.

Can’t really comment too much on the stats, and I’m always doubtful of them unless the source is reasonably bullet proof, but anecdotally they’d pretty much tally with what I observe going on around me.

One thing I would propose is that social media is a little like web development (has become) the barriers to entry are very low and it’s so simple to publish and consume content…people like to use what they personally have a handle on in a technical sense, then try to make it fit their purposes. Sometimes they’re clever, sometimes they’re lucky but usually they’re producing crap that will disappear into the void.