Home – New Forums Tech talk Does server location greatly effect SEO? Reply To: Does server location greatly effect SEO?

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::

Hi Troops,
G just changed the basis of its location search on mobile. From Google’s blog:

27 Oct 2017: Making search results more local and relevant

“Today, we’ve updated the way we label country services on the mobile web, the Google app for iOS, and desktop Search and Maps. Now the choice of country service will no longer be indicated by domain.”

G. is already test rolling out its mobile index. I expect this change to its geolocation ID methodology will be the norm when G’s mobile index is universal.

My interpretation of the search consequences are that business owners will need to ensure their business addresses are real, consistent and verifiable by Google. I’d open a Google My Business account. Check that major portals (Facebook, LinkedIn, G+, Yellow Pages, industry/professional body websites and any .gov business sites list the same NAP.

I’d ignore posting to all the squillions of minor directories. IMHO, all they are likely to do is create a nightmare of details you will need to amend should any NAP info change.